8 Background Screening Mistakes to Avoid

What background screening mistakes to avoid? In today’s article we are going to take a closer look, so let’s get right into it.

When companies hire employees or even contractors, they also take on some risks, some of which could be more expensive or harmful. There is always the chance that you will hire the wrong person. But that’s not nearly as bad as other risks, like hiring someone who later does something bad to your business, another employee, or a customer. These risks can be kept to a minimum or even eliminated by doing thorough and correct background checks.

When it comes to checking someone’s background, mistakes happen all too often. Here, we’ll look at some of these background screening mistakes and tell you how to avoid making them.

Mistake #1: Not screening the applicants

92% of employers do background checks, according to SHRM. What’s going on with the other 8%? In the competitive, unstable, and risky business world we live in, it’s hard to believe that some employers would skip the step of doing background checks on job applicants before making a hiring decision. They do, though.

This is the simplest of all background screening mistakes to fix. Add a formal checks to the way you hire people.

Mistake #2: Vetting only full-time workers

Everyone who works for and on behalf of your company, whether full-time, part-time, an independent contractor, or a “gig worker,” can have both good and bad effects. Even if you only check out full-time workers, your business could still be at risk.

Make a promise to check the backgrounds of all new employees when they are hired.

Mistake #3: Not being careful enough to make sure you’re screening the right person

Even small mistakes, like typing in the wrong identity number for a candidate, can lead to a mistaken identity and the use of false information to decide who to hire. If you mistook one person for another, you might hire someone with a background that isn’t a good fit or even a risk. Mistaken identity can also mean that a candidate with a great background and reputation doesn’t get hired.

It helps to be clear.

Mistake #4: Not performing multiple checks

There is wide variety of screening services to perform. From employment and education verifications to bankruptcy, credit even criminal records checks and more. Collecting information from different sources can improve the reliability of the information that you are reviewing before making hiring decision.

Mistake #5: Not giving candidates the chance to look over and change information from background checks

Background checks shouldn’t be done in secret or in a sneaky way. Candidates should know that background checks will be done and agree to them. Written consent is a necessary document in order to fulfil a background screening order. They should also be able to look over the information gathered, and correct anything that might be wrong, or add more information, or an explanation.

Mistake #6: Ignoring post-hire screening 

Even if a candidate’s past is good when they are hired, that doesn’t mean it will stay that way. That’s why you should think about doing continuous or ongoing background checks to make sure you know about any potentially troubling activities that could affect an employee’s work for your company.

Mistake #7: Trying to do background checks on your own

Even if you can do something, that doesn’t mean you should. Doing your own background check takes time and may not give you the whole picture because not all sources of background information are easy to find. Nor are all sources of background information are accessible without a special authorization. 

Mistake #8: Not choosing the right package or firm

When you work with PBSA accredited agency such as InteliMasters, you know you are getting professional service delivered by qualified experts that understand accountability. In this regard, the PBSA’s accreditation program gives a seal of approval widely recognized as the industry gold standard for consumer reporting agencies operating in the United States and worldwide.

Consumer reporting agencies that are not accredited by the PBSA are not audited by any official body. So you have no way of knowing whether their ethics and processes are up to the rigorous industry standards. They only have to comply with Fair Credit Reporting Act, as does any organization handling personal data and information.

To choose the right package for your background screening needs you can contact us by sending an inquiry at office@intelimasters.com.